Monday, July 23, 2012

Tiong Bahru Bakery

Date : 20 July 2012
Address: 56 Eng Hoon Street
Opening hours: 8am - 8pm, closed on Tuesdays 
Nearest MRT: Tiong Bahru 



There's been so much hype about Tiong Bahru Bakery, most of my friends who visited the place gave squealing recommendations. One even threatened never to speak to me again if I didn't try the chocolate croissant. 
So I did. And I'm sorry to disappoint everyone, but i wasn't impressed! Not one bit. 


I don't know if it was the high expectations I built of it or just a down day for them. Or perhaps I didn't really try the "specialities" but I was really disappointed after my brunch at TBB. 

I stepped into the buzzing eatery that was already crowded before noon and was greeted by a friendly waiter. 
I like the layout of the counter, how it displays the food to make every one of them irresistible. I was only with one friend but we wanted to order everything we saw. It's a good thing I live nearby so I can always go back to try the rest of the food. 


The first item i sank my teeth into was the Lemon Tart - $6 
The crust was harder than I expected it to be and honestly very plain and boring. The lemon pudding on top was sour and sweet and I wonder if they put mandarin oranges in it cos there was an overpowering taste of them. 
I wouldn't have been able to finish one on my own just because it's very sweet and I rather dislike the crust. 


The moment had arrived.
This was the chocolate croissant ( $3.20 ) my friend had so highly recommended. 
I eagerly shoved a piece of it into my mouth and............ my heart sank.
The croissant was soggy and slightly tough, not crispy and fresh. 
Perhaps I had indeed gone on a bad day, but aren't they supposed to be serving good and fresh food all the time? My friend and I exchanged glances and she said " Okay only leh " and I couldn't agree more. 


This was a spontaneous order that we made and boy am i glad we did because it turned out to be the best item we had that morning. The Croque Monsieur ( with ham and cheese ) - $9.50 would be one pastry I would dare to recommend at TBB.
The bread was soft and together with the ham and cheese, each bite was a flavorful one.


"PANNA COTTA!! " I squealed in delight when i saw this among other dessert items. We tried the one with tropical fruits - $6.50 
I prefer the pistachio panna cotta at Saveur's because it's smoother and milkier whereas this one was dry and more starchy.


My brave friend bought the squid ink bread $4++  and regretted her choice almost immediately after having a bite of it. She hadn't tried squid ink pasta before so she had no clue what she was venturing into. However, if you HAVE tried squid ink pasta before and like how it better flavours your food, then perhaps you will fancy this. 



As disappointed as I was, I'll go back and try more of their food. Hopefully the next time, I'll have an improved impression of them. 

No comments: