Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Jane Thai Food restaurant


Date: 17 July 2012
Address: 400 Orchard road, #04-30 Orchard Towers / 314 Bedok road Bedok shopping complex
Opening hours: 5pm - 4am / 11:30am - 3pm, 5 -10pm ( Bedok )
Nearest MRT: Orchard 

I have always wanted to try Jane Thai and I finally got my chance when a few of my friends decided to have thai for dinner. 
I've been back from bangkok for only a week and i am already sorely missing thai food. I've had 4 bowls of tom yum noodle soup for the last 7 days and I still want more so i'm going to another thai place this friday woohoo. 

Anyway, my friends and i visited the branch at orchard towers just because it's more convenient for us. 
I've seen the one at simpang bedok and that one seems more "posh" looking but I've yet to try the food there. If you don't mind watching streams of caucasian men enter dodgy, loud pubs and exit with their arms around scantily dressed women while you drink your tom yum soup, you should totally visit this hidden gem! 
Given that this place closes at 5am, it's an excellent place to stop by for food late at night, say if you're hungry after a movie. 


Hoi Kheng : Cockles - $5 
For sure, this small bowl of cockles seems like a rip off when you can get a large bucket of them at the market for the same price and boil it yourself to get the same result. We ordered it anyway since we felt like having it. 


 Phad Pak Bung : Sambal Kang Kong - $6
Sweeter than usual and crunchy enough. Just a little disappointed with the portion being rather small. 


Phad Thai Beef - $5 
I didn't try this but my friend said it was average. 


Tom Yum Seafood Soup - $10 
This pot of soup was enough for 3 people. Lots of people think that the clear soup isn't as spicy as the red soup (maybe cos the colour red lets you think its spicy) but i've always preferred Tom yum nam sai (clear soup) to the red one because I think its less oily and honestly spicier. 

The prawns weren't very fresh and there was too little seafood in there, hardly enough for the 3 of us. Then again, the portion may have been intended for only one or 2 persons. 
How i miss having tom yum soup at half the price and double the ingredients (esp mushrooms) back in bangkok. 


Peek Gai Thod : Fried Chicken Wings $5 
So - So. I prefer barbecued wings. 


Thai Iced Milk Tea - $2 each 
Tastes just like "Teh-bing" to me just slightly sweeter. 

I might come back again if i happen to be in orchard and craving for thai food but I wouldn't plan for it. 
The food was average but the service was good. 
I'm on to more thai restaurants in Singapore to find my favourite one. 

No comments: