Sunday, May 13, 2012

White Dog Cafe

Date : 12 May 2012 
Address : Vivo city, 1 Harbour front Walk, #02-131/132 
Opening Hours : Daily 11:30 am - 9:45 pm
Nearest MRT : Harbour Front station 


I've visited this cafe before, quite a number of years ago. Since my friends and I were heading to this place for lunch i thought i'd do a post about it. It's one of those places that are never really too crowded, but the food's not EXTREMELY good. To make up for it, they have set lunches that are very very reasonably priced (Given the quality of the food and the location of the restaurant) 

All 6 of us ordered set lunches and each set includes a soup, a salad and a main course. 
You can choose between potato & leek soup or white dory. If you fancy a prawn bisque or pumpkin soup you'll have to add S$4++ for it. For S$10.90 ++ I wouldn't say no to visiting this place a second time, though it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice since Vivo has so many other better places. 



The Soups


Leek & potato broth. Mild and slightly bland to be honest. 
The salad was not fresh so i hardly touched it. And the garlic bread was too hard. 


White Dory soup - Nicer than the Leek & potato one. Maybe cos i don't really like onions. And the white dory was more tasty, though slightly too salty. 


Prawn bisque. Average. I really don't have much to say about this, except that I probably wouldn't pay an extra 4 bucks for it. 

The Mains 

Most of the mains come with raisin butter rice and sauteed vegetables. Don't expect much from the rice but the vegetables were nice. 


Beef Stroganoff with Black Pepper sauce.
My friend, Nut, who was very eagerly giving me feedback about her dish said that the dish wasn't warm enough. I actually really liked her dish because it just reminded me of home cooked food (which I love). I grow up in a family that eat out everyday so home cooked food to me is the best. But once again, don't expect anything good out of the rice. It was probably served just to fill up space on the plate. 


Pan-fried salmon with whole grained mustard sauce. For this you have to top up 2++. 
This was my favorite dish out of the 5 we ordered. I usually prefer raw salmon to cooked salmon but this was so nicely done I wish I'd ordered this instead. Because mine was rather disappointing. 


I ordered the Beef Goulash which was basically a kind of beef stew. 
I didn't really like the sauce cos it was abit too salty and perhaps abit too sweet too. Would have preferred if it was a different stew base but my other friend who had this too liked it. So i guess it depends on what your preferences are. 


Dory Fish Fillet with Blue Cheese Cream sauce. Not bad. The fish was just nice, a little small but for 10.90 it's acceptable. The sauce was light and nice, too bad it wasn't very warm as well. 


Chicken Sausage carbonara pasta. 
Pasta was alright, but the sauce was bland, not salty enough. I think I would also have preferred if there was pork in it cos I've always thought carbonara sauces taste best with bacon. 

So there, these were the few dishes that we tried at White Dog. 
I would recommend this to students and groups of 5 because you can choose from their wide range of set lunches. The place is rather spacious and service was acceptable. Waiters and waitresses greet you when you enter and exit so that was pleasant. 
You'll have to compromise on your taste buds though! So if you're on a budget and you just want a place to sit with a group of friends to chat and fill your stomachs, this is a good location.

No comments: